Before you register with every social media platform out there to help you grow your business, please, just hit the pause button.
Have you ever felt like you were spinning your wheels on social media? Posting without progress? Before you give up on the whole damn thing, let's break down a few questions you'll need to ask yourself before you post anything else on social media.
- Who exactly am I needing to target? Who is my target market? My ideal customer? Only then can you chose ONE single platform to focus on. Yes, I said ONE. In capital letters. I want you to forget about all of the other platforms and focus on the one that is used most by your ideal customer. If they picked up their cell phone and they only had a couple of minutes, what would they check first? Facebook? Instagram? Snapchat? Pinterest? If you've done your homework (and if you haven't, you can check out my earlier blog on How To Find and Become Your Perfect Client ) you'll clearly know which platform they'd choose.
- Once you've chosen your SINGLE platform, ask yourself what it is you want to accomplish there. Is it website leads? Viral video? A simple growth in page likes? Selling a specific product? Then you can create an editorial calendar that will guide you to growth success based on your needed outcome.
Okay, so now hopefully, you've whittled down your favourite platform to just one. And you can eventually go back to having more than one. Just, for now, let's get you some social clarity. Here are the top platforms broken down for you.
- · Facebook users are 53% female and 47% male.
- · 72% of online users of income more than $75K are on Facebook.
- · 82 percent of 18 to 29-year-olds online in the U.S. use Facebook.
- · 79 percent of 30 to 49-year-olds online in the U.S. use Facebook.
- · 56 percent of U.S. online users ages 65 and up use Facebook.
Takeaway: Facebook is king for social media sales. It's easily the most used, most customizable content driven platform around. But...you need to use it the way it was intended to be used. To create an engaged community, not as a sales gimmick. Create quality, consistent content and you'll fly! For a deep dive into the world of small business on Facebook, check out my signature course, Facebook Freaktastic It's going to take you from A - Z and all points in between. From Pixels to Power Editor, you'll finish with the know how to build a solid business on this platform.
- · 24% of All Internet male users use Twitter, whereas 21% of All Internet Female users use Twitter.
- · 79% of Twitter accounts are based outside the United States
- · There are over 67 million Twitter users in US.
- · 37% of Twitter users are between ages of 18 and 29, 25% users are 30-49 years old.
- · 54% of Twitter users earn more than $50,000 a year at least.
Takeaway: Twitter is not for the faint of heart. What the above statistics don't say is that unless you're able to post approx eight times per day (manually or scheduled) then your growth on Twitter is going to be somewhat painful. Twitter is great for information based businesses, such as new outlets, services and entertainment based companies. One thing the stats didn't mention was that the largest growth demographic on Twitter are over the age of 65.
- 80% of Instagram users are outside of the US.
- Most Instagram users are between 18-29 years old.
- Six in ten online adults have Instagram accounts.
- Female internet users are more likely to use Instagram than men, at 38% vs. 26%. 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network.
- 51% of Instagram users access the platform daily, and 35% say they look at the platform several times per day.
Takeaway: Instagram has seen a meteoric rise lately, but is now dealing with the repercussions of post automation. Shadowbans are happening and some accounts are being suspended. The use of third party autobots sent out to like or comment with an automated comment is now being monitored and the result is that more accounts have a more solid organic base to build on.
If your business is visual in nature, Instagram is where you need to be. Selling a product? Feature it on Instagram. Since it's takeover by Facebook, integrating Facebook's powerful power editor program into Instagram, this platform is a major player for anyone looking to market their business to the under 35 group, also known as, The Millenials.
These are the three majors, but there are smaller players that hold some serious weight in the social world.
Snapchat - Is your market under 35? Are they content devourers? Snapchat is a great platform to be on for businesses that see the value in creating relationships with their clients. People buy from businesses they know, like and trust, and in my opinion, Snapchat and Instagram Stories are the best places for your clients to watch you and make an emotional based decision to buy from you based on your content. Snapchat doesn't have the powerful analytics, but I'm sure they've got something in the works!
Pinterest - Here's the thing. Pinterest isn't a social media platform. In it's truest sense, it's a search engine. Think about it. When you need to find something online, many of us, females, head directly to Pinterest for specific things. I know I do. Pinterest is perhaps the most underused platform around and if you can harness it's power, your demographics are female, you can build an incredible business with the help of Pinterest.
Periscope - Periscope is an app that lets the user share live experiences to their network. Periscope is now owned by Twitter so watch for seamless integrations, similar to the Facebook/IG relationship. Periscope encourages community and is great for business owners to build that old know, like and trust factor. You can live stream for long periods of time so it's much more flexible for things like a how to, concerts etc.
So, there you have it. In the coming weeks, I'm going to break down my favourite uses for each platform. Comment below with your favourite platform and why you love it so much for your business!
And while you're at it, why not keep the stream of social info for small business flowing? Join us via email or in our Facebook Community for everything social to grow your revenue!