The new product development (NPD) process is the procedure by which a company takes an idea for a new product and turns it into a finished product ready for sale.
What are the steps involved in new product development in China?
The steps involved in new product development in China can vary depending on the company and industry, but typically involve the following:
- Idea Generation: The first step is to come up with an idea for a new product. This can be done by brainstorming sessions, market research, or customer feedback.
- Idea screening: This is the stage where the company evaluates the feasibility and potential of the new product ideas. The company may use criteria such as market size, competition, profitability, and resources required to evaluate the ideas.
- Concept Development: Once an idea has been generated, it is important to develop a concept for the product. This involves determining the product features, benefits, and target market.
- Market Research: Before moving forward with the product development process, it is important to conduct market research to determine if there is a demand for the product and to identify potential competitors.
- Product Designing & PrototypeMaking : After the concept has been developed and the market has been researched, the next step is to design the product. This involves creating a prototype and testing it to ensure it meets the requirements of the target market.
- Manufacturing and Production: After the product has been tested and validated, it is time to move into the manufacturing and production phase. This involves setting up a production line, sourcing materials, and establishing quality control measures.
- Look for Chinese manufacturers: You can find suppliers and manufacturers online. You can directly contact the factory or take help from sourcing agencies. They are experienced and have a solid network of suppliers, and quality inspectors, as well as can handle logistics and shipping tasks.
- Negotiation: Check MOQ requirements and negotiate a fair deal with the supplier. Even if you have a target price all set, it is sensible to make some adjustments because the supplier also aims to earn a decent profit.
- Sample and customization: It is essential to have a sample made first to ensure that the new product development progresses as per expected in terms of specifications and quality. Ask for several samples until you are completely satisfied with the results. Samples can cost you significantly less than having to handle a large order involving flaws or defects.
- Quality checks: The sourcing agency will help to monitor the new product development in the factories. It ensures that everything is progressing as expected and there are no concerns about material or production quality. They even ensure that the packaging of products is foreign standards.
- Patent & Trademark: You have taken a lot of effort into the new product development process. It is essential to file product patents and have a trademark registration.
- Marketing and Launch: The final step is to market and launch the product. This involves creating a marketing plan, determining the pricing strategy, and identifying the distribution channels. It is also important to monitor the product’s performance and make adjustments as needed.
Overall, the process of new product development in China is similar to the process in other countries but may involve additional steps such as navigating regulations and intellectual property laws.
Tips to avoid NPD errors
- Avoid the need to rush production, so plan as early as possible.
- Choose a supplier who is interested in your business.
- Keep process engineers looped right across the designing process.
- There is no place for miscommunication with suppliers.
All the best for NPD!